Monday, April 25, 2011

Question in Regards to Repression

I haven't posted in a little over a week, but I have been busy with my job and life in general.

I have been thinking about something lately. Perhaps this is one piece of the puzzle I need to figure out to finally recover completely. When we "distract" ourselves and do other things instead of the negative behaviors are we really fixing the problem? All we are saying is okay I am in a bad place right now and going to do this other thing to take my mind elsewhere. In reality though we are repressing those thoughts instead of confronting them and working through them. After a while I just suddenly explode/implode, whatever term you want to use. This happens due to stress or some incident and then the thoughts come flooding back in full force and make everything worse. Then not only do I have the problem to deal with I have all the repressed thoughts too.

So my question is, how do we distract ourselves and confront the problems instead of just repressing them?

No comments:

Post a Comment