Monday, July 18, 2011

Update: Moving, Jobs, and Social Interaction

I have now officially been in my new home for a month and the new job for about three weeks. I have to say it's half and half when it comes to saying everything is going well. At the new job I am integrating with the new co-workers fairly well. I am to a point where I can get something accomplished and bring up my thoughts to the people there. That happened fairly quick though and is a requirement as a software developer.

What I am struggling with is development of a connection with them that goes outside of work. Not only them, but friends and people in general. I find it very difficult to go out into a public place with people I know, and it's even more difficult around people I don't know or have just met. Another complication is that I am not the type that likes to go to bars and have drinks, which is what just about all of society seems to be about these days. So where am I supposed to go hang out with people when nothing else is around?

I am still trying to figure this one out. Some suggestions I have received though that I will share. They are all good ideas, but certainly not for everyone, and I am not sure where you can find all these.

1) Join a culinary club - Meet new people who like to cook, and sample new foods
2) Join a robotics group - If you like to tinker with electronics this may be for you, only one I have found so far  requires enrollment at a university. They are supposed to be out there though.
3) Join a local church - Doesn't have to be about religion necessarily if that's not for you, but could be a social means to meet new people.
4) Get a part time job at a veterinarian - Great place to interact with animals which can also be a therapy and another method to meet new people.
5) Go hang out at the local swimming pool - Lounge on the pool deck or go for a swim, swimming not required.
6) Go see a movie at the local theatre

All of the above are suggestions that were given or derived from friends, family, and co-workers.

So on the the subject of work I seem to be doing fine with the new co-workers. Some disagreements I am trying my hardest not to blow out of proportion outside the confines of my mind, but doing fine. As for my new home I still find it very difficult to go out anywhere. I am going to keep the post short, just wanted to share some ideas that may be helpful so some people out there. When I do find what works for me I will share it. Something happened to my focus and my mind is all over the place.

Sometime this week I am thinking about doing a post on the public figures I follow on the radio, blogs, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment